Do Weight Loss Teas Actually Work?
“Drink this tea for a flat belly!”
You’ve probably seen a post like that on social media at some point, because they’re every where.
Some form of tea that promotes its tummy flattening or detoxifying effects.
Even big name celebrities will post pics on Instagram posing with their tea and boasting about it’s flat tummy effects.
The concept sounds great, right? Drink tea, look amazing. Couldn’t be easier.
Someone messaged me asking if I recommended a tea like that to help them lose weight.
I started ranting away, until I realized, it wasn’t really fair for me say it didn’t work, when I didn’t ACTUALLY know.
Sure, it sounded like a scam and I had all these reasons why it shouldn’t work, but I had never actually tried it. Seemed a bit hypocritical.
Off to Amazon I went to find this tea and become my own guinea pig.
What the Tea Claims to Do
In the listing and on their website (and in the name its-self), the tea makes a few claims:
- Reduce bloating.
- Boost your metabolism.
- Have energy boosting antioxidants. It says to “help you kick that bloated, bluggish and blaaaah feeling.”
- Cleanse your system and improve digestion.
- Help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Cleanse your digestive system.
Aside from these claims, it also boasts being all natural, non-GMO, gluten and sugar free. Uhm, I would hope so, it’s… tea.
On Amazon, they offer a 2 week and 4 week options.
I opted for the 2 week optional, since this was just a trial, and.. this ish is expensive!
When I bought it, it was $24 for the 2 week and the 4 week was just under double that, which makes sense. As of this writing it has gone up to $36 for the 2 week and $39 for the 4 week option, which does not make a lot of sense.
Any way, when it came in, there’s 2 packets in the box. 1 labeled Activate and the other labeled Cleanse.
The directions read:
ACTIVATE AM Tea: – Drink 1 cup every morning with breakfast – Place 1 teaspoon of Activate AM tea into a tea strainer – Infuse in a cup of hot water for 5-7 minutes – Remove tea strainer and drink
CLEANSE PM Tea: – Week 1 – Drink every other night before bed – Following Week/s – Drink every third night before bed – Place 1 teaspoon of Cleanse PM tea into a tea strainer – Infuse in a cup of hot water for 3-5 minutes
Here is where I immediately encountered problem #1.
I was expecting to find a bunch of tea bags within the bigger bags. But no, the bags are just filled with tea that you’re supposed to measure out and then use a tea strainer to make your tea.
I am not a tea aficionado by any means, so I did not have a tea strainer.. off to Target.
I went back and read the Amazon listing for it and did find in one small area where they mention ‘strainer’ not included’, but c’mon, just put it in normal little tea bags for us for this price.
Will this tea give you a flat belly?
I’ll start off with the positives.
- It tasted surprisingly good. Like I said, I’m not a huge fan of tea. I really only like green tea if it has stevia and honey in it, so drinking this raw, I was expecting to gag it down, but it was actually pretty good. (This tea does have some green tea in it)
- That’s all I can think of.
I don’t want to be harsh, but this is going to be a short review because there’s not a ton to say except, it doesn’t work, like at all.
Before you’re super disappointed and click out, if you were looking for something that WILL help you lose weight and isn’t a gimmick, check out these supplements!
It actually did absolutely nothing.
In fairness, I tried to be unbiased, but I was pretty confident from the start that this was not going to work. BUT, I was opened minded that it could possibly do 2 things that would kind of help you “get a flat belly”.
- For the AM activate tea; I thought if it had caffeine, that could give you the energy the boast about, and technically, caffeine boosts the amount of energy (aka calories) your body uses. This didn’t happen. I felt no more ‘energized’ than before. So I did some reading and found on their site that the Activate tea only has 2mg of caffeine, compared to a cup of coffee which has about 95mg. So no, that didn’t work.
- I assumed the PM Cleaned would, uhm, make you have to use the bathroom more. Short story short, no it did not. As a side note here, your body does not need external ‘detoxifying’ help. Your body has a wonderfully complex and efficient system for ridding your body of toxins just fine on it’s own. So this didn’t work either.
If you’re looking for something that will help you slim down, check out my post on supplements that will actually help you.
Why are weight loss teas so popular then!?
You might be wondering, like I was for a bit, why the heck these ‘flat tummy teas’ are so popular? There’s really 2 main reasons.
- The companies pay for posts. They reach out to Instagramers and influencers and offer them money for promoting their tea (or any product) in a post. Like a lot of money. Kim K reportedly got 6 figures for a post. Alternatively, they offer commission for any sales made generated by them. This is not always a bad thing. I have a few affiliate deals, but I only ever agree when I have already been using the products on my own before they reached out to me and love them. I can absolutely, 100% promise you I will never recommend anything I don’t actually use and love myself.
- People WANT to believe it’s true. Every one wants to believe there’s some miracle weight loss secret that will allow you to shed weight without getting off the couch or changing your diet, ahem, like drinking tea. I’m not ever going to lie to you guys, even if it’s what you want to hear. The truth is it does not exist. If you want to get in shape or lose, there is only 1 way to do it. Eat right and exercise. Simple, simple stuff. The hard part is doing it. The mental stuff, getting up when you don’t want to go and resisting the foods you want in favor of foods you need. If you are serious about weight loss and getting in shape, I would love to help you. I have a new complete program out that you can check out here. I can promise you it works, if you work. If you decide to get it, part of the deal is that you get to message or email me with any questions and more importantly, whenever you need some motivation or accountability! (Use code NEWME30 for 30% for a limited time!)
As always, I hope this helped in some way and if you have any questions, leave a comment or message me on Instagram!