High Protein Low Carb Donut Recipe Results
I came across this incredible video on YouTube with pictures of incredible looking donuts with the promise of them being high protein and low carb.
SAY NO MORE!!
I mean, look at these!
Since I follow flexible dieting, this was RIGHT up my alley!
I pretty much immediately ran to the store to grab the ingredients.
I won’t go on some weird, irreverent tangent about my day or life like most recipe blogs, but I do want to mention a few key things..
Problems With The Recipe
Before I go over the actual recipe, I should warn you about the problems I faced trying to follow it.
If you watch the video, he mentions some ingredients that aren’t listed in the description (vanilla extract).
On the flip side, there are some ingredients mentioned in the description that aren’t in the video (baking powder).
Personally, I opted to include everything mentioned from the video AND the description.
The vanilla extract I added a very small amount, since he doesn’t mention measurements in the video. If you choose to do this, add small amounts at a time since it’s extremely concentrated.
The other issue I ended up having was that the consistency of my batter turned out NOTHING like the video. Mine was much more dry and chunky.
So again, I was kind of winging it, adding more of the “wet” ingredients trying to get it to match.
Overall, I would make this recipe again, BUT…
Would I say they ended up tasting like a donut?
Uhm, no. I asked my husband to rate them from 1-10 and his response was “It’s hard to rate because there is no flavor, but since it’s neutral and I don’t want to hurt your feelings, I’ll give it a 6.”
You saw the expectation picture above, but here was my “reality”..
Not the best, not the worst.
I definitely overfilled the donut pan though, hence the bundt cake look.
The reason I would still make them again though is because the macros on them are pretty great.
Depending on the specific brand of ingredients you use, they come out to be about:
88 calories (per donut), 6g Carbs, 2g Fat, 12g Protein.
Donut Ingredients (makes 6):
- 45g Casein Whey Vanilla Protein
- 15g Coconut Flour
- 5g Zero Cal Sweetener of your choice
- 5g Baking Powder
- 70g Greek Yogurt
- 70g Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 75g Egg Whites
- 10g Sprinkles
Protein Frosting for all 6 Donuts:
- 20g Casein Whey Vanilla Protein
- 6g Coconut Flour
- 45g Greek Yogurt
- 3g Zero Cal Sweetener of your choice
- Cold Water to the consistency of frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix all of the “dry” donut batter ingredients in a bowl
- Mix all of the “wet” donut batter ingredients in a separate bowl
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until it looks like batter consistency
- Spray your donut pan with nonstick cooking spray
- Evenly spread batter into your donut pan and bake for 10 minutes
- Take the donuts out of the pan and allow them to cool until room temp.
While the donuts cool, make your frosting:
- Do the same as the batter and mix the dry and wet (except the water) ingredients in separate bowls first and then mix the two together.
- Now mix in the cold water slowly until it is icing consistency
- Once the donuts are cool, top them with your icing!
If you’re like me and love the idea of a high protein breakfast that tastes “carb-y”, I also LOVE these high protein muffins. You mix in some water and pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and they taste amazing, plus the macros are awesome!